Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Noise Annoys Professors

A very large part of my job is to be (essentially) annoying. I read portfolios students must submit to pass a certain level of writing proficiency. I also have to meet with two of their professors to make sure analysis of the student's work is balanced. Meetings about students' portfolios are not fun, and they do not seem important, but it's like...a requirement of graduation to pass this stuff, so it is important. Plus, I am under a deadline as to when I need to type up full evaluations for the student to read.

So...I just send e-mails trying to schedule meetings no one wants to have. Can you think of someone who would be more annoying than me? The person who makes you busy for something you don't want to do?

It's uncomfortable, but, actually, this is a skill I severely need to improve. I have horrible self-PR. In all my years performing I have never got the hang of selling my own stuff. I always feel guilty. People might not like it, might waste time, waste money, think I'm bad, like me too much to tell me....dislike me more after watching a play I'm in. I dunno!

I can't bring myself to ask people to be excited for me. To support me. This is a good step in the right direction--asking people to have the courtesy to make time for something in their job description. Maybe to you this seems irrelevant to my life, but I am building up confidence muscle in all the right annoying places.


Me & Stripes after my capstone reading--one of many performances I couldn't bring myself to directly mention to people

No comments: