Friday, September 3, 2010

Dang Latina Cantina Language PCness

Am I the only one who seems to have endless difficulties when it comes to Latino things? I don't even think that's the politically correct way to say what I mean here...Okay--here's what I mean:

1. The big whoopsie is saying "Mexican" when referring to two Mexicans speaking a language. It makes you sound like a major squat brain, and, really, the best of us have made that error. "Do you speak Mexican?"--an instant goober is born, and really, it is a totally understandable mistake.

YET

2. Because of Number One, when I am referring to Mexican cuisine I sometimes (in attempt to not sound like a ding-dong) automatically say "I ate at a Spanish restaurant," which of course, is super wrong. Chimichangas and tapas are way diff, my amigos.

3. There's also no umbrella food term. Like...Brazilian and Columbian and Mexican...do you say South American? I guess that makes sense. As I'm typing this I feel like an idiot. Like everyone else really does know how to refer to everything, and all my future potential employers found this blog and are reading it RIGHT NOW laughing and HOOTing, "WHAT A JERK!" I just...I mean...Asian food is just Asian, can be more specific, but, if you don't know...it's Asian. Okay. I'll shut up now.

Really, maybe everyone feels stupid about this stuff, so that's why everyone gets freaked out and thus the jealousy spurred people to fearfully make up the stereotype that Latino/a people (is that even what you SAY?) are dumb. Beating them to the punch before they realize us WASPS ain't got a clue on the board game.

Upside inside out! Livin' la vida loca!

No comments: