Saturday, September 25, 2010

Rad & Naked

Today I saw a production of Equus downtown. It was very well-done. I've managed to miss reading and seeing this classic piece for years. I'm glad I saw it today, as a 22-year-old and not when I first came across a reference of it when I was 14.

Of course, I have to talk about the full-frontal nudity. Because...that's just what you talk about when you see Equus. I sat in the front row knowing I was going to be in close quarters with some dude's junk. If you're gunna see it--might as well go full out. It was a small black box.

So, when it happened, when the young man and the young woman undressed, at first it was a little shock (Oh, this is THE part), but after literally 20 seconds you forgot. I assume most people go through the same rapid-fire questions

1. I wonder if she is over 21? I guess over 18 is legal.
2. I wonder how long they rehearsed this scene before getting naked.
3. I wonder if that hurts, the way he is on the bench right now. Slivers on his butt?
4. Did their parents come to this?
5. All things considered, I guess it--

and then you're back to paying attention. There's a lot goin' on, and really, big woop. You think, "Wow. She's naked. And we're all. Right. Here." But, THEN you're like, "Whatever! I was naked this morning and it was no thing. So over it." And then, over it. Toot.

After the show I stayed in the city to meet some galpals for dinner. I aimlessly walked the sidewalks of art fair happening and bumped into part of the cast just leaving in their pedestrian clothes. The nudies and one of the horse actors. We shot the breeze I complimented them (they were very good) and the girl recognized me from the one-act festival last week and complimented me and when the kid who was Alan asked me what school group I had been with I answered and he took a long drag of his cigarette before repeating and saying "Rad, rad."

No comments: