Friday, April 16, 2010

Whitney, don't you understand that what I say is true?


Dance-Off LZ Show 2010 (note me doing "The Blender")

Danced as hard as my cheepy sheepy shoes could handle last night. The venue was sketchy and smokey. The company was Pookie. The band was The Ataris.

Oh! The Ataris. So many memories. The band I played obsessively while lazing in bed the winter of my 15th year daydreaming on my crush and our recent hook-up. The band that made me thirst for love. Oh! The Ataris. The band I played obsessively after my first major heartbreak.

It was surreal. The Ataris had some big hits half a decade ago. Their music videos were on MTV. They were on the radio. Since then the rest of the band besides lead singer/song-writer Kris Roe dropped out. He released a terrible album in 2007, and now he's apparently on tour in the worst venues of the United States.

Poor guys had to set up all their own equipment and get yelled at by an audience that knew barely half of the set. Kris was pissed, saying his bandmates didn't know the requests, saying the songs being shouted for were terrible in the first place. Regardless, I was overjoyed. He played some excellent old favorites--namely "San Dimas High School Football Rules" and "Your Boyfriend Sucks."

I went up to meet him after, as he was busy shoving his stuff in boxes, but he was so tired and grumpy. I wanted to say, "Your music has really made a difference to me." But, I wanted to say that to help, and I decided just leaving would probably be better.

Dear God,

please make this a good year for Kris Roe.

Warmly,
Alice

I'm still waiting for the world to come crashing down again.
I'm still waiting for someone to call me up and tell me you're dead.

No comments: