Sunday, April 18, 2010

Thai-Ho!

Stripes, Muff, and I had our quarterly meeting Saturday night. We enjoyed curries and concretes together speaking in bad accents and guffaws all the while.



I love them, these girls, and I wish I could just HAVE some women. When I watch Sex and the City I get insanely jealous that all my female friends never bonded into a neat little pod. They are scattered across the country, scattered across my life, sometimes scatter-brained.

Anyway, we were talking about early memories of each other, and Stripes brought up a memory from before we had even spoken really at all. It was winter of our freshman year. We were in the same house but rather unaware of one another. One morning she happened to get up in time before class to slop a jog together. She said it was gorgeous morning--frosty and sunny. She was rather enjoying herself when she noticed me far ahead on the road bobbing easily along in my little running pants with my little head phones. Trip-trop, hop-skip. Easy easy easy. She said at that moment she thought, "Hmmph, now SHE has it all together. She does this every morning." Which...was true. But, under no circumstances did I have it all together at that point. In fact, that was probably one of my worst quarters of college. I was hardly trying in classes, rude in rehearsals, and struggling with friendship issues nearly every ding-dang day. Yet, at that time, I looked together. I'll take it.

She said some mornings when she would be barreling around getting ready she would imagine me, happily ending my run, taking a long shower, fixing up for work, etc. and think "Blast."



It's so easy to see yourself as a train wreck. Muff complained heavily about her despicable capstone. Of course, such poppycock makes you want to slap the person speaking and scream "STOP BAD-MOUTHING MY FRIEND!" To those who love us, we are gems. How come it is so difficult for us to believe them?

No comments: