Thursday, April 15, 2010

So Moving



post-awards Nats 2006 with Hunny
Last week inbetween panels at AWP I was re-reading Jeffrey Hatcher's play Three Viewings which includes one of my favorite monologues of all time. The section is entitled "Thirteen Things about Ed Carpolotti." It was my Dramatic Interp piece for speech and debate my senior year. It was the piece that won me my title at Nationals.

I finished reading the play right as a panel on feminist writing began and totally surprisingly began to cry. I had forgotten how near to my heart and how incredibly poignant the end of the play was. If that's not good theatre I don't know what it.


Act III, Scene I

Also last week I was in the editing suites making a cutting of Summer Brave for my actor files when I got to that terrible dramatic scene for Rosemary. I couldn't edit that scene without tears in my eyes. I'm not disgusting enough to say my performance was so good that even I cried upon viewing. I will simply forever be emotionally torn up by those lines, those situations, frankly, that scene as a whole. My brown dress, the puddles on Bradley's shirt.

These experiences are priceless to me.

Oh, and Katie, Katie be happy this world can be ugly, but isn't it beautiful?

No comments: