Monday, April 19, 2010

My New Birthday!

Prologue:
Back in 2006, right before I went off to college, my mother bought me the wondrous gift of a new MacBook laptop. I named it Bernadette (Bernie for short). It was much better than my little tangerine iMac recycled from my sista. I was grateful, but it had problems almost immediately.

It broke about a month into my ownership, again that winter break, again that fall. The battery, the CD drive, the casing, everything! All the time it felt like. But, I was grateful. Bernie was always a slowpoke--never falling asleep and waking up playing music in the middle of the night. It took a full minute for Word to load on it. This winter all hell broke lose. She burned through her power cord. She overheated and died. She didn't hold a charge. The Genius Bar (after many visits) finally offered to get her logic board fixed. That had to happen twice. I was grateful because my warrantee was up, but I was miffed because Apple's product was rather shoddy that it wouldn't even last an average student through college!

Anyway, for the first two weeks of the quarter I kept Bernie stationary on my desk because if I ever moved it (even jiggled), she would shut down and my work would be lost. Enough was enough. I didn't want my capstone to be lost. So, it was time to buy a new computer. I was nervous for the money, but I had help, and it was time.

Events of Last Wednesday Night:
Brought Bernie to The Genius Bar. I had the same guy I had had the previous four times. The computer shut down for no reason. He took it to the back room. He came out announcing this was going to be my best visit yet with him. He was giving me a brand new MacBook. I screamed. I screamed! I fantasized about the scenario--the Apple dude just looking up my product history and seeing "Okay, yeah, we owe this girl." AND THEN IT HAPPENED! This is the ULTIMATE pink pony of my life.

Pookie and I (elated) went to CPK where I could get a "summer drink" (my term for a delightful cold and fruity drink). I asked the waiter for one, and he enjoyed the phrase. He joked that the phrase would catch on. Hadley joined us. We all rejoiced! I felt like I had to call everyone! "It's my new birthday!" I yelled to the Mac guy.



Epilogue:
I've been so happy with my new computer: Kurt. I type this at a rapid pace, able to navigate through windows so quickly. I got to start fresh. I'm loading my music slow. Dreams come true!

No comments: