Tuesday, January 4, 2011

WHY DID I THROW THEM ALL AWAY?

Today I met with my boss at the Writing Center about this term's projects. I am jazzed. I have my bearings in this job, and I now know how to work it. Also, now that I am comfortable, I love it. So many people my age aren't yet working in fields they genuinely want to support. I am. Hella blessed, y'all.

So, today my boss was giving me some projects relating to assessment of a program for freshmen. At the end of this year's program, all the freshies had to write evaluations that I spent several hours of my life reading, assessing, pie-charting, etc. I spent a couple weeks on the project, but then all the evals (a fatty fat stack) just sat in my drawer. So ugly and taking up all my space. The project was long over, so I decided to throw them out.

FLASH FORWARD TO TODAY! I'm sitting in my boss's office, and she starts explaining a project I am to do. I just have to re-document all the evaluations in a new way. Oh, no big...Wait...

I THREW THEM ALL AWAY!

It's bad. Really bad. Because there's NO way to get that information back. At all. And, so she's giving me directions, and explaining how valuable this project will be to show the administration and I am listening but all trying to not let my face show what is going on in my brain which is

I THREW THEM ALLLLLLLL AWAY!

I returned to my desk. Trying not to wig the heck out, I carefully opened my drawer. Sure enough. There was the binder I had organized them all in. Empty as the day it was born in an office supply factory. I sighed a big sigh. I picked up the binder, and saw ALL THE PAPERS I HAD THROWN AWAY!

It flooded back...Me holding the huge stack over the recycling bin, and then thinking, "Oh what the heck. I'll just keep them."
Packrats unite. Hallelujah. Praise Allah.

1 comment:

KDunt said...

It just made my day even brighter that you used the phrase "Praise Allah" in your blog....so. happy.