Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Keep It Fresh, Loving



Today I had to call a couple offices for information about my grad school applications. I SWEAR TO JALEPENO POPPERS I read all the websites and supporting links as THOROUGHLY AS POSSIBLE. Still, there were bits of information simply not available. Oh, you say you need to send proof of measles vaccination with my application? Oh, good, you have included a link...to the health service page of the university. Great. A smiling drop of blood on a treadmill with health tips. WHERE THE VACCINATION FORM AT?

Or, "Be sure to send the transcript directly to the Graduate School." WHERE THE ADDRESS AT? NOT ON THE WEBSITE THAT'S WHERE.

So I called. And after being on hold for about twenty minutes I get an extremely peeved woman. I am a chipper chipmunk. I know those jobs aren't all swingsets and nougat bars. But she cut directly through my hoy before I even finished my sentence "Yes, I see I need a vaccination f--"

"THAT'S THROUGH THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT YOU'LL HAVE TO CALL THEM."
"Okay. But, I'm just asking if I need that shot before I am admitted, or if I only have to--"
"IF YOU DON'T GET THE SHOT YOU CAN'T REGISTER FOR CLASSES."
"Okay. (Smile) But if I'm just applying...I can wait--"
"YOU DON'T NEED IT TO APPLY."

Good gravy. What did I do wrong? I realize that might be a question she gets all the time, and she cannot help with it...but for honey's sake, she could just know IT WAS NOT ME CALLING HER THOSE PREVIOUS NINETY TIMES. If anything, she needs to pay the website designer an angry lil visit.

It's a good reminder. We needn't treat new people with old problems with immediate animosity. It's really okay.

It's true. Look how they shine for you.

No comments: