Thursday, January 20, 2011

Godspell

Tonight I saw one of the best pieces of theatre I have ever seen in my entire life. It was a modernized version of Godspell that took place in the slums.

Every actor and musician was fully committed, loving, sure, INSPIRED. I sat on the edge of my seat through all the regular "Day by Days" and "It's All for the Bests"! It was...funny and smart...raw and rich...and Jesus. The student playing Jesus Christ was sensational. I have never connected with the crucifixion. Ick. No thanks. But tonight? Tonight I was so moved by this boy's complete humility, amazing voice, and sincere movements that I found myself praying although I do know how the story always goes. Please don't do it Judas. Please.

My heart wretched as the train rumbled faster and faster. A huge light from stage right shot straight into the boy's eyes. Rumble rumble steam shooting. Jesus hit by a train while avoiding the police.

And then he came back for a bow which I gladly leapt up to clap for. He smiled with so much love! They sang one more round of gospel jam and danced away into the wings.

I want so badly to run into that actor. To say Thank You, You Have Given Me So Much. I Understand. But, also, I could not bear it. I cannot take the fact that he is probably twenty-one and sometimes makes rude remarks, and laughs at unfunny television, and has to warm up before hitting those gorgeous notes. Because then Jesus really will be dead.


Far beyond where the horizon lies
Where the horizon lies
And the land sinks into mellow blueness
Oh please, take me with you

No comments: