Monday, January 31, 2011

First Movie Date

The first time I saw a movie on a date was in 2002. I was a freshman in high school, and I was going on a double date with my boyfriend, my best friend (at the time--meaning we weren't best friends after about four months), and her boyfriend. But, things were on the rocks with the other couple, and the guy just didn't show. He was our ride.

My sister drove the three of us instead. We saw the movie They, which was really just horrible. There's more to the story, but you know how awkward dates go. Insert funny comment about hand holding.

I just totally didn't get it. TOTALLY. And this, to me, continues to be funny eight years later. Today what really got me cackling was remembering how after the movie my temp-bff asked, "Now what?" as I got out my phone to call my sister. The bf, eyes wide with excitement said "Let's get food!" as I said "Let's go home." I pretended I didn't hear him. What was he yammering about? It was like nine o'clock. I already ate dinner! He was a crazy. Why on earth would we prolong the night anymore? We'd already spent a couple hours seeing a movie. Without acknowledging anyone, I dialed my sis, we got picked up, and we dropped the bf back at his house. He sort of stood outside the car maybe waiting for a hug (?). I made eyes at my sister like "What are you waiting for? Pedal to the floor, lady."

She said, "He seems nice."
"Huh?" I said.

Totally. Didn't. Get. It.

Is it cool if I hold your hand? Is it wrong if I think it's lame to dance?

No comments: