Monday, February 14, 2011

Ol' Man River


The Mississippi at sunset, 2011

The musical Showboat: So. Flippin. Adored. (By moi.) In third grade, I knew every single line to every single song thanks to a cassette tape I mailed away for right after seeing it downtown. (It is so crazy how much technology has changed in fifteen years.)

I would re-enact the entire show by playing every character. During "Ol' Man River" I sat in a little chair with a knife and piece of scrap wood, pretending to widdle while dropping my voice two octaves. I'd furrow my brow, chip away at the wooden block angrily and sing

Color folks work on the Mississippi, color folks work while the while folks play,
Pullin' dose boats from de dawn 'til sunset, gettin' no rest 'til de judgement day.

and at the end I would throw the little block down and stand from the chair and belt

But ol' man riiiiiiiiiii-ver! He JUS KEEPS RO-LLIN AAAAAAAAAAA LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

No comments: