Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's Hard for More People Than You Think


Beautiful people. October 2010.

I think it's really important that people understand It's Hard for More People Than You Think. I think frequently we look at our vices and say, "I really can't help it. I realize not everyone struggles with this, but it's probably easier for them." Well, probably not true. Or, probably at one point wasn't true.

I was talking with someone about drug addiction the other day, and this came up. It's hard to reason with someone addicted to substances because often they think, "Yeah, but you can't understand. You're not attracted to this!" When really...lots of people who don't do drugs are attracted to them. Hoards really. They just abstain because they are also attracted to other things. Like maintaining their health and safety, for example.

I used to think "Yeah, but it's not hard for you" when it came to exercise. I just didn't get it, and it was really hard for me to do it. Then, I nibbled away at the concept of physical activity, and now I love it. And I think some people could look at me running my little legs off and say, "Yeah, but its not hard for you." But, 1. Sometimes it still is. If I push myself, or if I'm tired, or if I'm bored. And, 2. It's only not as hard because it used to be. And I worked on it.

It's just a small example, but this is a concept we can all be more aware of. When we see a super peppy hostess--don't think, "But it's easy for her." When we see talented musicians, informed politicians, all the good grains of the earth, know it is all there for us under the surface of our "Yeah, but it's easy for you"s and "But you don't get it"s.

I haven't finished a thing since I started my life. Don't feel much like starting now.
Walking out lonely has worked like a charm--I'm the only one I have to let down.
But
watching you
makes me think that that is wrong.

No comments: