Sunday, February 13, 2011

Candy Hearts



Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I LOVE VALENTINE'S DAY. I know it's super consumerist bananaland holiday, but I still love it to bitty pieces. Itty bitty pink chocolate heart-shaped pieces.

I know single people tend to feel glum on February 14th, but I kind of just like the theme of the day...so I don't really care that I am teaching a Revising and Editing class tomorrow night instead of overspending on rich food with a bf. But needing an other is such an aggressive thought isn't it?

In Target today I was joyously running my hands along all the themed boxed of Nerds and bags of red Three Musketeers, and I felt for just one millisecond a little sad. I saw something I would have bought for my dear little ex-bueff, and I sighed a tiny sigh.

But it's okay. There are a lot of people I love and will love, and I do and will know just the things they love too. And I moved on, and then...oh. Just a little something I saw that I wanted. Usually, I just like to see all the cards and treats--I don't actually want any of them. But there was this one small thing. Just a little something that I did want. Oh.

But then I had to remember that even if I were dating someone right now, he would probably not have gone to Target and found this exact thing that I found myself limply staring at today, Sunday, February 13th, 3:30 PM. So, why be blue?

My favorite Valentine's Day of all time so far was my senior year of high school. I was making a new friend, Wall, and she and I were both single sitting at a table of girls planning their beau-licious dates. So, she and I made plans to have thai food in the loop! And we did! And we had the most fun! And then we got coffee! And we laughed a lot. And I wore a black bow in my hair.

The book of love is long and boring and written very long ago. It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes, and things we're all too young to know.

No comments: