Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Should I Be Worried?


42nd Street, 2007

As a senior in high school, I got a nice chunky college scholarship from the International Thespian Society after winning an acting competition at the state festival. It was a lovely little honor--complete with plaque.

When I began college all I had to do was enroll in a theatre course, give the information to ITS and the registrar, and bada-boom money money money honey.

A couple months agoI got a letter reminding me that I had won that scholarship. I hadn't thought about it in years, so it was a warm little hello. But, then, quickly the letter took a strange turn. Apparently, my files from that transaction were accidentally made public online for some period of time. So, my social security number, name, addresses, general information etc. was just rampant on the World Wide Web. They offered me an identity detective for a small fee and closed with, "We'll contact you with further information." That was was the last I heard.

Worst. Scholarship. Ever.

And it's uncanny to see, you'd really think it was me, I do the best imitation of myself.

No comments: