Monday, August 9, 2010

Fun Run (Part III)



The other day as I walked through the little town outside camp I stopped to admire my lovely name on a corkboard of people who had finished the 5K the previous week. The names were lined up based on time finished. I was squat in the middle of the bunch. I looked lovingly at my time: average. *Happy Sigh*

I don’t think I’m ever going to be disappointed with a run time as long as I finish. It’s just not my jam. I used to be really confused in high school by kids on speech teams who just never placed well. I understood freshmen who struggled, and sophomores who were mediocre, but I was in disbelief of kids who had four years under their belts and still consistently competed without breaking to final rounds. I was asking a teammate about the conundrum once, and she told me, “Well, maybe they like it.” I was like LAME, but now I realize all the runners who whizzed past me, or saw me as I crossed the finish line after they had already eaten a buncha bagels were probs thinking, “Why does this girl bother?”

Average--just fine with me. I get it.

and you don't care your face in on a billboard, and you're everywhere, you don't care much for interviews
you're gone, you're gone, you're gone, you're gone, you're gone, you're gone, you're gone, you're gone away

No comments: