Monday, May 31, 2010

J.D. & Me


After my capstone reading last week an older man, an old professor still living in the area, approached me with an embrace and a humbly-handed wrapped gift. He loved my play, and he gave me a copy of his book with an introduction from Horton Foote. This guy--he's legit eh? The card had stars on it and read "You are you, but you have the genius of J.D Salinger." I could never fully accept a compliment of comparison to such a legendary author. But, I will keep the card to prove I was once offered the sentiment.

Yesterday after the senior women strawberry festival, I had to go to library because I found the beginning of a treasure hunt in an envelope in my mailbox--the call number to a strange book. Inside the book was another envelope. I was lead to eight differnet locations inside the building. Finally, on the top floor, I found a card I needed to bring to Phyl's house last night. She made me breakfast for dinner and awarded me two books as a graduation gift. One of the books was Nine Stories. She said it reminded her of me. Eerie? Excellent? Grateful?

Yes, that one. Grateful.

No comments: