Friday, May 7, 2010

Gramma Socks



I've been missing my grandmother lately. I guess I've been thinking about family coming for graduation, and my family is great and all, but I think family coming for graduations is kinda weird. I mean, there is walking across a stage and a lot of boring besides. I know now it's more of an excuse to get together, but I still think it's odd. I also do recognize that across generations it's a bigger deal. That's why I've been thinking about Gramma. For her, my sister graduating was a big old deal. I get that. She like...lived int he depression and was a housewife and all that. But, she won't be here, and while I usually don't care about my deceased relatives (or even my living ones) missing out on my life, this time I can't help it.

In times like these I know what to do. I pull out my Gramma Socks. After she passed away, my dad, sister, and I joined my aunt and my grandfather at the house in Arizona for spring break. My aunt said we could have anything we wanted-- kinda a morbid and free thrift store.

I picked out a variety of things. My sister took some kitchen appliances etc. for her future as a big kid, and I took things like a ceramic tern, a crop of polo shirts, and brand new socks in her drawer. She didn't get the chance to use them. Well, they're going to new use. A thin little pair of Peds on my feet.

Hotel in Arizona
Made us all want to feel like stars
Rental cars with tinted windows
Leave another number for me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Jared, and I am a friend of Alex and Courtney, a.k.a'ed as "Muff", apparently. I've been reading your blog and I must say, I envy your ability to write down exactly what you're thinking and have it sound so elegant, casual, and precise, all at the same time. At least, that's how it reads.

I just wanted to say that I lost my Great-Aunt a couple years ago, even though it feels like it was yesterday that my parents sat us down and told us. We had a take-what-you-want episode as well. It felt dirty and morbid, like it wasn't right to take her things, but I'm glad we did it. I selected two cowboy figurines and a model outhouse. She was an odd bird, one of the best. They reminded me of how she could be such a kid, even while being an adult. I have one of the cowboys sitting on my desk now, and whenever I'm feeling stressed, I give his hat a little rub and I feel a little better.

It's one of those coincidences that make me believe in a greater hand guiding the world; I was taking a walk and thinking of her, and then I come across your post today. It makes me smile, just a tad. So anyway, I just wanted to share. Keep up the good work, I can already see why Courtney and Alex tell me you're one of the good ones. I'm looking forward to meeting you on October 23rd (that's the wedding, are you as incredibly, jump-around-the-room, excited as I am??).

Toodles,

Jared