Saturday, May 22, 2010

F The Book


Vince & Me, Fall 2005

Shakily, I have made the choice to quit Facebook in a couple weeks. I have many many reasons, and not so many for staying.

Some of the biggest reasons I'm quitting:

-It's a time-suck.
-It's not so great for people to always be looking at other people's perfected and created 2-D versions of themselves and compare. I have done this openly by making fun of and judging others based on something as lame as Facebook and subconsciously by wondering if my life lives up to my peers' (while looking at photos of adventures or social events for example). I haven't been hugely affected because I think I'm a pretty confident gal, but I can see how after graduation when I am no longer surrounded by activities and people I love 24/7 this kind of behavior will wear on me.
-I'm a bit flustered by the new linking system. I don't want to be connected things, and I don't want ads to be part of my communication with loved ones.

Some of the biggest reasons I am concerned:

-Someone awesome from my past will not be able to reconnect with me (although I cannot think of anyone right now).
-I will miss seeing everyone's pictures. That's something I have always really appreciated about The Book--big ol' photo-swapping. I hope people will e-mail me/I will be more handy with my camera.
-I won't be invited to my HS reunions.

Ultimately, it is possible that I restart an account in the future. Heck, my dad HAD to get Facebook as a mandate from his work. Who knows? Regardless, if you read this linked from my FB you'd best bookmark or something because that's not going to be available in a week or so.

Bye, Bye, Birdie. It's awful hard to go.

No comments: