Saturday, May 1, 2010

The First of May

30th of April, seems like yesterday.
Bought a house above the ocean where our kids could laugh and play.
I called you from Paris
to tell you that I put our names on the observation deck
of the Eiffel Tower.

Remember those nights?
Playing "Summer Wind" in the juke box at the bar we used to go--
We made out in the bathroom and you walked me to my house.
I tried to convince you not to go home.


I didn't go to the observation deck of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. But, with The Ataris in mind, on the observation deck of Sacre-Couer I drew a heart with ETC. inside. A mini-trademark for Alice. I thought about names, but I have done that once before, and it didn't work out. I preferred the infinity of whatever love was going to bring my way etc. etc. etc.


Pookie on observation deck, 2009

Last night I was thinking about the foreverness of relationships. It's such an important idea--commitment--and perhaps even lifelong. But how will you know if your lover will love what you love for that long? Maybe it's not important that my partner appreciates the big stuff--theatre, education, social justice. It seems like it really is...it really should be...but who can say?

I think about Grinz's boyfriend hitting a grand slam at yesterday's baseball game. Nothing mattered in that moment but the ball sailing out of the park, Grinz yelling with joy, her face heating because "Alice, everyone was looking at me like I was the luckiest girl in the world!" because she was. Right then, she was.

If only I had one wish I'd want a million trillion lifetimes that I could spend with you.

No comments: