Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Looking Forward, Looking Back

For my final Theory presentation, I have to pick a critical theory and apply it in some way to theatre--in general or a specific script or performance or something or something.

The sky is the limit, and I don't know what to pick. Two things come to mind:

1. Gender/Queer Theory--which is sort of a mini-field I've carved out for myself via research projects, lit papers, communal work/outreach. I'm interested in this field, and I find gender and sexuality issues very important in today's society.

But, also--

2. Marxism--Which is most intriguing to me these days. I couldn't tell you why, but it's just what I most want to read, most want to think about. It's new.


Adult convo at Sunday coffee with the bromeo and Juliets.

Honestly, either choice will be very interesting and enjoyable. But I still stand at the junction of building upon a strong foundation--beefing up my portfolio of gender/art work--or starting from scratch for funsies.

I believe...THAT THE HEART DOES GO ON. (Sorry. I've listened to so much Celine this week that it's impossible for me to say "I believe" without a follow up belt.) But, I believe in doing what you want to do, but not everything should be new. That's not how you become an expert. That's not how you most astutely address one nugget of academia, life, art, love.

No comments: