Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pizza Challenge


The big one.

Tuesday Boulder pulled up to my condo, radio blaring
Bad to the bone, bad to the bone.
We were on our way
to attempt a pizza eating challenge at a local pie joint.

A three-foot pizza for two people in one hour.
I had only eaten one bowl of oatmeal at 8 AM before
we entered the atmosphere of Italy on soda cups and parmesan in the air.
Boulder stretched. I wasn't nervous.


Boulder channels inner peace to help him complete the challenge.

Our opponent arrived--fresh-baked and glistening with grease.
I was so hungry I imagined grabbing two piping hot slices in each hand and swallowing the burn.
But, I was patient. I patted the first slice with a napkin.
I carefully lifted the oversized triangle into my mouth.
I bit in slow, and chewed.
It was delicious.
I can honestly say I enjoyed every single piece of pizza.
We obviously finished the challenge. Boulder was a groaner.
But, I celebrated each individual piece of crust. Every bit of sweet sauce.
We were given t-shirts and earned our photo on a hall of champions board.


Last piece!

Living in excess every once in a while isn't so bad--as long as it's legitimately improving your life.
I pythoned the calories away and can honestly say I wasn't really hungry again for almost a full day.

No comments: