Thursday, September 22, 2011

Halfway to Adulthood


Post-show last Friday. Some of the guys.

Thursdays we have a weekly improv show in the Student Union at lunch. Then, I have about two hours before I teach my Intro to Screenwriting section, and then there's the mondo sketch rehearsal.

From 4:30 to Question Mark we all work through the final edits of each sketch, get cast, block, memorize, and decide running order. It should be fun, but even the best sketch on its fifth run can become joyless for performers and castmates alike. And even people who are normally grateful (moi) end up hating the very thing I love more than anything.

As I biked home, it rang in my head: I hate comedy. I'm sick of it. I hate writing. I'm done with it. I don't want to laugh anymore. I just want to curl up in a ball, watch Boy Meets World, text like a 15 year old, eat junk food, and forget about all of my potential. So...that's what I did!

Being only halfway an adult is the best best best.

All those nights we stayed up talking, listening to 80s songs.

No comments: