Tuesday, September 6, 2011

LOST FAITH IN HUMANITY

ALICE BOUGHT A SUPER BIG JAR OF MIXED NUTS AT TARGET TWO WEEKS AGO TO LAST HER THE ENTIRE SEMESTER. SHE LABELED THEM AND PLACED THEM NICELY IN THE CUPBOARD OF THE THEATRE TA OFFICE. SHE ATE LITERALLY FIVE.

A WEEK LATER (TODAY) I DECIDED TO GRAB SOME NUTS FOR CLASS AND FOUND HALF THE JAR EMPTY. AND DON'T TELL ME IT WAS HALF FULL, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT! IT WAS HALF EMPTY! I AM SO SERIOUSLY MAD RIGHT NOW.

And I really just can't let it go. It's silly to be this mad, but really? Really?! It's a small office! Why would someone steal from someone they know in their very own office who is CLEARLY POOR BECAUSE WE ARE TAS!?

I guess what I am thinking about is how wrong theft really is. It's one of those things that we seem to think has shades of grey surrounding it. "No, I wouldn't steal a car, but just a handful of mixed nuts from a HUGE jar? It's such a big jar...She won't miss them..." Well, I do. I do miss them. Especially because nuts aren't cheap, y'all. The jar was fifteen bucks!

Sunday was my first improv rehearsal, and during our break I went to the bathroom to find a huge line. Weird. But, there was some giant sorority rush event happening in the building. Then, I saw a room where girls were streaming out with these delightful mozzarella and tomato sandwiches. I told the two girl improv understudies. We three, not dressed up in the slightest, walked into the room, took cookies and rice krispies, and I was about to go in for the sandwich kill when I overheard a girl saying, "Who are these random people just taking our food?!" and then I ran away.

I thought it was funny, and I didn't consider it stealing. There were hundreds of girls, and they all looked super dolled up in super richy clothes...but what I did was stealing. And that was wrong. Period.

No comments: