Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gettin' Old

YES its way over-done, but I feel like I'm getting so old so fast. Even a YEAR ago my plans and goals were infinitely more exciting than they are now. I've always been rather simple with my desires.

Old Desires:
-Do some traveling
-Work my way up the Second City program of improv
-Teach in Japan

New Desires:
-Not be cold
-Be within reasonable distance of a theatre so I can see a show once and a while--even if I never act again
-Companionship

I don't think I was ever purposely trying to rebel against anything with my disinterest in marriage, distaste for a career right out of school, living anywhere that would link me closer to improv...I think I just could have hacked it then. But now...I'm tired. I want to go on walks and be warm even in winter. I want to operate in small quiet settings and travel only when I absolutely have to. I don't want to make new friends. I just want to look around and see the same guy in my house.

Its easy for me to say this with my clamped jaw and numb chin and joints that haven't gotten to work-out in a week and the busiest quarter I will have in college staring me in the face. Gosh, it's probably just today, but I feel like if I woke up tomorrow and all my dreams had been thrown away and all I was left with was a shack in Arizona, a deadbeat husband, and a crappy job...it wouldn't be so bad.

1 comment:

J. Michael Scholten said...

Wow, Alice, the years do smack us around sometimes eh?