Monday, September 7, 2009

Mail Time

Oh, instincts are misleading.

Being a camp counselor makes you very aware of cycles of "cool". An example: if all of camp (5-16) is called together and someone dresses up in a costume and reads a story, the 5-9 year olds are decently entertained. 10-13 are disgusted. They feel babied--even though girls much older are also at the reading. Meanwhile, the high schoolers are okay with it. It's nice to digress in age sometimes.

Last night after my first session of Moral Reasoning here at Prin, I was fairly alone. None of my friends are here yet. I'm just in my single setting up. I took a walk down to the concourse and found ten letters stocked up in my box. One was from Muff. One the back of the envelope was a small ladybug sticker with her name on it. At some point she got a pack of those and thought they were cool. Then in middle school she was pissed she owned them. Maybe she kept trying to throw them away, but her mom would see and put them back on her desk and Muff would scream "GOD MOM THEY'RE STUPID!" or something dramatic. But, now, the cycle has recircled, and I, for one, was very happy to see such a cheerly ladybug greeting me.

You shouldn't think what you're feeling.

No comments: