Monday, September 14, 2009

Dead. And Still Going.

Grinz joined Kay and I for dinner tonight. She leaves for India in ten days, so we've got to get our time in now. Kay mentioned going to summer camp when he was eleven. Grinz said Oh yeah! You knew Walter right? He said Yeah. You would have been good friends smiled Grinz. I poked at my spinach quiche. I didn't know Walter. But, I know Walter.

When in Japan, on our way to Fukoi we stopped at a temple. We had all of our items for the trip, so we checked everything in lockers. Grinz shared one with Der. When we were leaving Der handed Grinz her backpack. She said she had left a book in the locker. He said he had probably put it in his backpack. He hadn't. The book stayed and we were whisked away. The book was not found. Grinz used the one picture she had of her dearest friend Walter who passed away when we were in high school as a bookmark. The photo was gone.

But! Low and behold! She called the temple! The book was found! It was shipped post-haste! The photo returned!

Kay apologized for bringing up Walter. No. It's happy memories she said. He's coming with me to India. It's okay.

How absolutely incredible right? Even after dying some six years ago, I met him AND he travels the world. I'm just really touched by this for some reason I cannot quite pin.

No comments: