Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Four Hammys

THOMAS was my first hamster. I got him after school one day in second grade. He was brown and white and very sleepy. He was a good sport, and I don't even remember when he died.

JEFFERSON was my second hamster. He was white with red eyes--an albino. He was fiesty. He ran a lot on his wheel, and he would sometimes bite. He liked to stand on his hind legs a lot. But, I still loved him. He started acting very sick and jittery around Christmas when I was in 5th grade. The vet told us he had a tumor and would die without surgery. We could not pay for a hamster surgery, so he got sicker and sicker until I found him frozen in his cage December 26th. I was crushed. My dad told me I could get a new one whenever I was ready.

FRODO was my third hamster. I demanded him out of the blue spring of my eighth grade year. I brought up the promise my dad gave me after Jeffie passed. He was gold and rather friendly, but I was going into high school and didn't have much time for him. My dad ended up being his caretaker. When he moved out, I forgot to feed him a lot. I remembered it had been a couple days during Hell Week of 42nd Street (the first time I was in it sophomore year of HS). I went to get his dish and found Frodo dead. I'm pretty sure I killed the guy. I still feel guilty.

BLANCHE was brought home yesterday afternoon. She is dark grey and very tiny. I love her already, my new little baby.

No comments: