Monday, August 29, 2011

Sunrise Surprise


Sunrise on Shell Island. 2010.

In June Dusty and I were going out for Indian food, and it was a hot hot St. Louis night. Cicadas wiggin', humidity boiling.

I said, "This is going to sound stupid, but...I just can't get over the fact that I've known you for about six months. That I met you for dinner in January and it was blizzarding...and now...here we are about to say goodbye, and we're in shorts."

He said, "Yeah...you're right. About you sounding stupid. Have you heard of seasons?" Smarty-pants.

But I still can't wrap my head around the fact that change comes to regularly and expectedly to most of the world. Just a few minutes ago I was watching the sunset over the palm trees outside my window. And now, besides the dim glow my lil laptop is beaming at me, it's pitch black in my bedroom. And tomorrow...the sun will rise! Like...what!?

Come on. Sometimes doesn't that all blow your mind?

Surprise, surprise--
never something I could hide
when I see we made it through another day.

No comments: