Monday, August 15, 2011

On My Degree


Koon. Winter 2011.

Been meeting a lot of new people in the past few days--orientations for TAing, small talk with strangers, Graduate Student Welcome Parties. So, you know, people keep asking what I'm doing, and I say, I'm getting my MFA in Dramatic Writing. And, then, pretty much always:

"So, what does one do with a degree in Writing?"

Um...write?

Yeah, I get what people are saying without saying: Where'syourstability? How'reyougonnaeat? Doyouhaveanykindoftalentanyway?

But what I want to say is...I am passionate about dramatic writing. Wouldn't you be concerned if I were doing anything else? Believe me, I didn't pick to pursue this degree because I was in it for the surefire cash. You, strangers, aren't exactly bringing light to my situation, you know.

Most importantly: Ifyou'renotHAPPYwhat'sthepoint?

Ain't about the ca-ching ca-ching!
Ain't about the ba-bling, ba-bling!

3 comments:

Ct DJa said...

ahha! :) agree. we do whatever we love to do. if its about 'ka-ching', there will be other ways. btw, gud luck on ur degree! -from malaysia-

KDunt said...

Thank god for you. Someone has to put it out there....i just love you to pieces

Koon said...

thanks for the wise words there Alistair. Keep it fly out in 'Zona