Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Way to Go, Slim!


But if we can hump dead animals and antelopes
then there's no reason that a man and another man can't elope


My iPod was on shuffle, and I heard this little old tune by our friend Eminem. I was obsessed with "The Real Slim Shady" back in the day. I taped it off the radio using my Hello Kitty boom-box. I know all the words, but today I realized I hadn't been listening to most of them. When I heard the line seen above, I was moved.

Think about it--Slim just defended gay marriage. In a rap. In 2000. A rap that was top of TRL and Billboard. Heck yeah, Em! Way to go! I know, I know--he's been notorious for using the F-slur...Even now that he's had to come out and say that term doesn't mean "gay" to him (okay, he's an idiot--neither here nor there) and has graciously (?) refrained from calling gay pop stars the word by switching it out with "fake its"...THE POINT is that in 2000 he had a ballsy little line worked into his nation-wide hit.

Women wear your pantyhose. Sing the chorus and it goes!

No comments: