Sunday, January 6, 2013

Thoughts on Les Mis (Part I)

First of all, I have an extremely deep connection to Les Mis. "Yeah, yeah, we all do," you think. "I sang 'On My Own' in the shower on the reg." Look, it's cute you think you have a serious bond with Les Mis, but what we have IS THE REAL DEAL, so do not even.

-I knew most of the music since early childhood, thanks to a cassette soundtrack in my mom's car. My favorite song was "Master of the House," which I would sing at the playground when I was on top of the jungle gym.
-At age nine I went to an open audition for young Cosette, which I failed horribly, missing my entrance cue and having to ask to start over. Shame forever. Needless to say, I spent the next three months replaying standing in front of the casting directors and nailing "Castle on a Cloud" until my best friend Fran offered me, "If you had gotten the part, your sticker collection probably wouldn't be as good because you would be on tour." For some reason this comforted me.
-I decided to make up my disastrous audition by performing Cosette's ballad at the 4th grade talent show. But when they called my name, I got so nervous I bolted out of the gym. The principal had to come get me hiding in the bathroom. BUT I DANG FINALLY SANG THE SONG, and peeps loved it (or at least they said so to prevent me from running into oncoming traffic idk).
-I saw that touring production I wasn't in, and my creepy obsession grew tremendously. You have no idea how many nights between 1998-2002 I biked alone to fields to sing concerts of all Eponine's music. No big, just crooning in the middle of an abandoned baseball diamond pretending I was bleeding to death in my true love's arms. MIDDLE SCHOOL, AMIRIGHT?
-My freshman year in high school, I was excited to be part of the musical, but when I found out the show would be Les Mis?! I flipped a lid. I knew I was too much of a pipsqueak to get one of the real coveted roles, so I set my sights on Gavroche. This time when I auditioned, I at least glossed over the mistake I made (saying "Inspector Valjer" instead of "Javert" during "Little People") and whatever YOLO I got the part!!!!! Thank the Lord I was flat-chested and my voice is that of a little boy's!
-You guys, I am pretty sure if you would have cut me during that fall, I would have bled sheet music. I literally ate, slept, and breathed Les Mis. Had lunch with my musical girlfriends, dinner with the cast on our breaks, in school constantly sang through my part (which wasn't very hard, so, pretty unnecessary). ULRA CREEP STATUS: I listened the soundtrack every night before bed. Yeah, all three hours or whatever of it. At 9 PM I'd be like, "cool, time to rage with Val Jean." I am sure could never forget the lyrics to any song if I tried really really hard and got Alzheimer's.
-I started dating my first boyfriend during the show. He was nice and cute, but more importantly, HE WAS PART OF THE BEST THING THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN TO ME AND I NEEDED TO HANG ONTO THAT. He was a junior, but I guess not that cool since he kept dating me despite the fact I never wanted to kiss but always wanted to, like, reminisce about the choreography of the high school musical that had closed weeks ago. It genuinely did take me months to get over the end of that show, and when I did, I ditched the guy. You don't have to be Freud to realize that I literally tried to have a committed relationship with a musical in lieu of a human. Okay, to give myself some credit, the guy also loved Korn and was in show choir. I mean, not a match made in heaven.

And then something happened. I went on to see three more productions of Les Mis over the years. Each time I left slightly more disconnected than I had the time before. When it toured this year, I didn't go. I was even offered a free ticket, and I declined. Did I overdo it?

No. I still love Les Mis with all my red the blood of angry men heart. In fact, I've had "One Day More" on repeat as I've written this post. It's just that this is a personal love. A nostalgic collection of music and lyrics. To see a group of strangers performing it as I sit in an even bigger group of strangers watching doesn't feel right. This show moves me. I know so many people who hate musicals on principle, and it is scores like this that prevent me from understanding that viewpoint of taste.

In short: I am a certifiable looney tune. So get amped for my thoughts on the movie. Coming tomorrow.

2 comments:

KDunt said...

I loved every moment of this.

Mahonri Mackay Stewart said...

Alice, I adore this post.