Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ladies in Comedy

I just really want to express gratitude for the women of comedy being so important lately. All five Golden Globe nominees for female lead in comedic TV are like huge household names, so well-loved, and they all speak to womanhood and equality. Not a one is just working on her acting career. All five of them go out of their way to address issues of gender identity, success, empowerment.

I just browsed through past Golden Globe comedienne nominees and winners, and, let me tell you, things hava changed. Like, women on TV used to be funny...I guess? But, outside that, they were mainly just bein' pretty girls. I don't want to discredit any of these historic women or blame them. Some are significant--Carol Burnett, Tracey Ulman...sure. But Calista Flockheart, Jennifer Anniston, Jenna Elfman...what have you done for me lately? Sarah Jessica Parker, you are a symbol of your generation, of womanhood, of relationships in general...but what have you said?

These women are all a product of their times. Things are different now. There's tweeting to the masses and women's history month essay contests and a support system, which we ALL owe a pretty hefty thank you to Tina for. It's a new world, but we still owe thanks. I'm giving it. Thanks.

I do also realize that all the nominees were white, and I look forward to seeing even more progress regarding otherness in the future.

No comments: