Monday, January 21, 2013

Michelle Obama's Cardigan

Fully admit I love the Obamas
in a sort of idealized way. This might make me
a bit naive, but I don't care.
Last night on Girls Jessa said both sides are
dirtbags. Which is true
and not true. But if you can love a politician--
not blindly, but by way of reading
love letters his college flames published
(in which he asks What Am I Meant to Be?)--
then, what the heck, I say,
just love him.

At the gym T Swift blared in my ears
while I ran toward CNN.
Barack and Michelle walking that mall.
Closed Captioning told me the first lady
wore the same navy cardigan yesterday.
How is this news? But. Fine. I think:
Good for you, ma'am. Real people wear
the same sweater twice.
And I bopped my head side to side,
pressed the buttons faster faster faster,
the song about Jake Gyllenhaal and Never Ever Ever,
while the president swore
"I'm still here."

No comments: