Friday, March 16, 2012

RADiohead

Last night I saw Radiohead in concert. Here's what I think:

-It was huge. 20,000 people huge.
-This band has been popular, like, really popular, with all sorts of people for 20 years. What what what?
-The tiny little Tom moved his body like wild, but he was still so tiny.
-It was good, but my mind wasn't blown open, which is what people said would happen. Don't get me wrong, it was good. But my mind is chillin'.
-There are many parallels to Brecht and what happened last night. The A-effect, cigar theatre (people eating nachos pre-show since it was in a stadium), the purposeful cliche being loved by all ("High and Dry" and Brecht's Three Penny Opera).
-My favorite songs were the slow ballads. "Paranoid Android" was, of course, wunderbar, and "15 Step," but I liked "Lucky" maybe the best?
-Skars saw it with me. He sat on my left and yelled "Woo. Spring Break!" as we rallied for the inevitable encores.
-When its so big and bold and packed, I guess you just want music, but I would have liked some banter, some chatting. Let me know you, Radiohead!
-There are a lot of Radiohead songs that melt me right into a puddle of goop. Listening to those today--ones that weren't played last night--seemed...brighter? More electric? Like, I love this song, but now it's underscored with a personal...THING. I was there. I've been in a room with this voice. This stringy sweet voice.

Bloom
15 Step
Airbag
Little By Little
Myxomatosis
Gloaming
Magpie
Pyramid Song
Daily Mail
Arpeggi
Packt Like Sardines
Identikit
Lotus Flower
There There
Feral
Idioteque
How to Disappear Completely
Kid A
Lucky
Bodysnatchers
Give Up the Ghost
Reckoner
Paranoid Android



And for a minute there, I lost myself.
I lost myself.

No comments: