Saturday, March 5, 2011

EffIng North Korea

I'm really miffed by the current Public Forum debate topic for NFL Speech and Debate. It's basically "Resolved: north Korea is a bigger threat to the safety of the US than Iran."

So basically I've seen like a billion kids arguing over which country is crazier and full of the most horrible people. Usually I will forever and a HALF defend why Speech and Debate is so good for the world, but this? This is suck-town.

High schoolers who probably aren't the most understanding of world events should not be researching all the reasons other cultures are dangerous. They should be researching topics that promote considering other cultures in a positive light. Like, for real, who thought of thus stupid topic?

All the debates just turn into yelling matches about which countries' nukes are deadlier and which leader is more unreasonable.

After a full day of Districts yesterday (I'm currently between rounds now) I hung out with Dusty. Almost as soon as I got to his apartment, he sat me down. Very serious. He exhaled: "I have something to tell you..."

He was staring blankly forward, hands clasped together.

"Okay," I said.

"I'm not sure..." he winced. He shifted his shoulders back. "I'm not sure what I think about North Korea's current role in international politics--"

I punched him!

2 comments:

Benjo said...

When I was in high school, I was selected with a couple of my partners from the debate team to participate in some big debate event on social security that was being led by one of our extremely republican senators. It was kind of embarrassing because none of the 50 or so kids from around GA they brought in knew a damn thing about social security, and I suspect that the whole event was a clever ploy to make us think whatever the GOP thought we should think about social security. Thankfully, they were really terrible at getting us to wrap our heads around it, and I still have no idea who think what about it, including myself.

Lauren said...

Hahahahaha, Good for you! :D This post made my day.