Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ideal

Well, I've made it through the worst of the theoretical analysis/write a new play/historicization storm. Sort of. I won't ACTUALLY be out of the storm until May 2014, but let's not think about that right now, okay?

In dramaturgy tonight we had a serious discussion about children's theatre being dumbed down in the United States. It's actually pretty gross. Nothing should ever be dumbed down. Ever. That's what I really really believe. Dumbing down or "being simple" are simply sneakier forms of lying. Lying is a distraction from Truth. Truth is equal to Love. Love alone is Life.

So, as you can tell, I have some strong opinions about stupid children's theatre. I scribbled this angrily in my notebook:

"Only write for your ideal audience."

I put down my pencil. It's really that simple. If you make children's plays, don't imagine the little squirmers and the little goobers, imagine the mini-Obamas and Mindy Kalings.* HECK, extending the concept, you shouldn't do anything for anyone but your imagined perfect audience!


Sometimes Clara is my imagined perfect audience.

You know a lot of girls be thinkin' my songs are about them.
This is not to get confused, this one's for you.


*Yeah, I went there. I put our president and my fave comedian on the same level.

No comments: