Saturday, December 18, 2010

Someday We'll Find It


Council Overhang, Ottawa, IL 2010

Backstage last night in the mini-break before our late show one of my castmates started singing Rainbow Connection in a gen-u-ine Kermit the Frog voice. Then someone else sang along. Then the light guy walked backstage and joined in. Two more piped up. All in that hideous toad gurgle. A full-on chorus of Kermits flemily singing in a dark winged corridor at 9:57 PM on a Friday.

And no one blinks or anything.

So I say, "How do you know all the lyrics to 'The Rainbow Connection'?" And the original Kermie explains that once he realized he could do that voice, he felt he better darn well get some lines down. I looked to the rest of them. They shrugged.

"Yeah...I don't..."
"It's like..."
"Well, you gotta..."
"HEY! Why DON'T you know 'The Rainbow Connection'?!"
They all leapt onto the mock anger. I gave in! I'm sorry! You're right! What was I thinking?

Then we started talking about what happens when you slow down Louis Armstrong recordings and add heavy metal backbeats.

What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing, and what's on the other side?

No comments: