Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday Bath

The knob was turned as left as it could be turned.
I am fundamentally against baths. A waste
of water.
But, it has been a long time.
Besides visiting onsens in Japan
at least.

Last week I began one, but got bored halfway full.
Today was the first real bath I have had in around ten years.
I can't remember the last one.

My heart lubbed s l o w.
I felt like a bullfrog.
Stagnant and sludgey. The water
rose. I was curled up holding my knees,
toes under the stream. Hot.

I closed my eyes and reached back forming a V on the wall.
Hot places: the American south, exotic islands, Australia.
How can you be angry with these heavy eyelids?

Ears buzzing.
I drained it.
Stepping out I looked like I had bathed
in a jar of maraschino cherries.

1 comment:

courtneyfloatsyourboat said...

This is so clear and beautiful.