Tuesday, May 19, 2020

maybe shake a tambourine or when I sing, you sing harmonies

It's my birthday. Twenty songs that defined my year. Last year's here

Rumor - Lee Brice
Put Attention on Me - Alana Johnston
She's Kerosene - The Interrupters
I'm a Good Person - CEG soundtrack
If I Had Words - Babe soundtrack
Rebel Girl - Bikini Kill
I Remember You - Skid Row
Big Mouth - The Muffs
Mele Kaliki Maka - Elvis
I Think I'm OKAY - Machine Gun Kelly
The Man - Taylor Swift
Totally F*cked - Spring Awakening soundtrack
Old Town Road - Lil Nas
Despacito - Beibs
Pretty Girl - Maggie Lindeman
A Strange Loop - A Strange Loop soundtrack
First - Cold War Kids
Twin Size Mattress - The Front Bottoms
Ridin' Solo - Jason Derulo
Chap Stick, and Chapped Lips, and Things Like Chemistry - Relient K

Many of these were important driving + radio jams, some of them were significant to the movie I worked on or the set of that movie. I would play the Spring Awakening on my walk from the flat to the theatre every night in Edinburgh. It pushed out all my anger and anxiety and got me in the mood to sing and dance my little buns off. So many good memories of showing my badge, skipping backstage, getting my button-up from the intern who ironed laundry, and kicking on my show shoes. A spritz of refresher post-show. I first heard at least two of these from TikTok. One of these I put on repeat while I wrote my new pilot. Some Hawaii memories. Specifically it's cute that I'll always associate a country song with the island because the uke performer outside our balcony played it every day. The Jason Derulo I inexplicably listen to a lot these days, alone on walks, alone writing, less alone when you call it "solo."

No comments: