Friday, February 28, 2014

I Am Happy I Had To Do Stuff (Part One)

I don't think I've ever had a truly bad job. I can think of only one that deeply challenged me in the bad ways. But I had the good fortune to leave after one year. And it was part-time in the first place. I have taken something with me from everything I had to do. Sure, the season I worked at the mall ice cream shop the amount of nothing hours cleaning the hot fudge machine were vastly disproportionate to the amount of positive life wisdom I gained. But those are the odds when you're 18. That's alright. If I hadn't been there, I would have been somewhere else.

The cynic in me says, "Maybe if you were a true yuppy you would have had an internship at a theatre company." And, yeah, maybe I would have. But I really don't care at this point because I'm here and here isn't bad at all. The further truth of the matter is that if I never had to do stuff, maybe I actually just wouldn't have.

It takes some time, yes, but in hindsight there's growth. There are seedlings that sprout like face-down tadpoles. And that's good enough for me. For me standing here, staring at the dirt.
Mando explains MA consumes the most ice cream of all fidy states.

No comments: