Friday, February 1, 2013

Nonchalance

My dad being supes nonchalant last week.
"She holds her cards so close to her chest." Phyll told me this person said this to her about me several years ago. The phrase struck me because I had never heard it before. The phrase struck me because until then I had thought I was pretty open. But perhaps not. The phrase struck me because I didn't think this person even knew who I was. The phrase will now always strike me because this person is dead. A ghost believes I hold my cards close to my chest.

I act like a darn idiot on the daily. It's one of my best teaching tools. It's my preferred form of art. But I do hold things close to my chest. I do. And there's a point of contact where one can't anymore. For logic or clarity or honesty. The round's going to end. You'll have to share your hand. And when you do, man, man, man. Oh man. The chips, they're all in.

No comments: