Monday, February 11, 2013

Accumulating Paper

"Hey, ____. How do you feel about me borrowing that play?" And my professor Indy blinked and awkwardly turned aside and answered a different question, but I stood patiently awaiting my response. The reading is due Wednesday. This was last Wednesday. He would have to part with his copy for a week. A little dinko copy. He lined up his stack of papers intently with his left hand. "Are you asking if you can actually borrow my copy?" He winced. So, I said, "Oh, it's okay," and started walking out of class. He asked, "Did you not...it was in the bookstore. There were copies in the bookstore." But I didn't go to the bookstore. I just bought all the big anthologies online.

Books, I love them, but also they're so annoying. You can't throw out a book. It doesn't seem kind. But, there are books I don't need. I try to tie off the pouch early. I borrow when I can. I e-read. I don't want to amass the paper piles. Or cardboard piles from Amazon. Or money piles transferred to Barnes and Nobles' shareholders.

I left class feeling...icky. Yes, just icky. I'm sure no harm was meant, but I guess it never feels good to be denied? What am I going to do? Dip the play in peanut butter? Is it just common policy, or is it just me? And to turn it back on me. Like how could I even consider asking when I should be spending my incredibly teensy stipend on Wally Shawn plays from the 90s? My nerve!

Furthermore, I just checked the e-mailed list of books Indy sent pre-school. Turns out I DID order them all, and this play was left off. Really now. Of course, I would sound insane to mention such a petty detail, which is why I am writing about it on my blog.


No comments: