Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Squeezin' Life

This week is flying. This semester is. I'm planning my first mid-term paper. Gosh darn, that happened fast. This year I've been pretty good about being happy presently. I have no reason not to be. I like all the elements of my life, but there's still a tug that chants within us, "I can't wait until this is over."

I wonder why we are built this way. Because ultimately, once this semester is over, then the year, then my program, then my job, then my life. Like, the only rush is really towards death, you know? So, what's with the chip in our brains that hurries us along? Pessimistically it has to do with dissatisfaction. Optimistically it's hope--that things--even if they are grand--will alway get better.

I consciously told myself this AM that I wanted to squeeze the life out of today, and I think I did. But it still flies!

Mainly, here's something: If you are only present 20% or 50% or even 95% because you're waiting for the future, think of how much time you will have wasted if the future falls through on you. I know you know, but sometimes you have to see it in writing.

No comments: