Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Live Yo' Dreams

Last night I went to Second City's South Side of Heaven, and I loved loved loved it. It was different than past SC show's I've seen. It was more poignant (of course still funny). It helped me feel happy about being alive, which is probably the point of art.

I have this thought about dreams: You really can live your dreams now. Like, okay, when I saw that show last night I was like, Wait, Let Me Quit Grad School For A Sec--Must Pursue Sketch. But, why? Because...because the show was so good, and I want that Goodness for myself. But, it was good because the cast wrote a good show, because they had Good thoughts clutched in their fists, released their fingers slowly, and slid all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. And maybe I am never destined to be on that stage--not even for a class. I really don't know! How could I possibly! Even if I had a iron-will, what does that guarantee?

What is guaranteed is that I too can clutch at Good and mush it carefully into a dough and roll it flat and cookie cut something out of the concoction. You know? You know, it's like, it'll still be a cookie, you know?


Christmas sugar cookies, yestadayahhhh!

It doesn't matter how many people see the Good we do as long as the perfect intended audience sees it. If the one stranger remembers not even the poem you wrote for the lame literary review, but the simple way you were candid that one time you talked about your experience in choosing your school, your partner, the popsicle flavor.

I plan to work really hard this next semester. Very tired right now--still reeling from the last. It's great to see all these people, family, places, but I want to sleep forever, and I need to write for days.

No comments: