Wednesday, December 7, 2011

In Defense of My Laziness

It's not unusual for me to write in this blog about how much I don't want to do homework or grade or something, but, actually, that's not how I feel a large majority of the time. It probably seems like it though because if I am excited about play revisions or grading a stack of comedic scenes, then why would I be procrastinating on my blog?

So, the other side of the coin: Today I was extremely productive.

I woke up and without sitting up, immediately plopped my laptop on my stomach to take care of business: e-mails, grading, writing, revising. Here's the thing: when I feel like working, man, do I work. It's not even like I have to conciously try to stay focused. When I'm iin the zone, nothing else sounds good. I even TRIED to get myself to break. "Hey, Alice, why not just pause for twenty to watch an episode of Boy Meets World or something? Hey, you haven't eaten today. Don't you think you should do that?" TV is out of the question. I wouln't even watch it, like a child forced to attend the opera, I would just mentally consider all the other things I could be doing. I considered eating, but the only thing that would have satisfied me was my work--looking at my to-do list, imagining the next check mark.

By 1 PM I had done full revisions of my new play and graded a bunch of screenplays. I cleaned my entire room and ran five miles. While my hair dried I watched half of The Kids Are All Right (which I loved) and ate a wheat tortilla filled with jalepeno hummus.

Then, I started writing my Dramaturgy paper due Tuesday. I started planning revisions for Theatre History's paper. My professor got back to me with feedback of my first draft. I have a ton of new research to do before Monday. I did not worry. I am the champion of this paper. I will win the World Series in this paper. It took all the strength in the world for me to shut my computer while zooming ahead on these projects. But, I promised myself I'd go to church tonight. I was onto me.

I am scheduled for a long shift at work tomorrow. I start early. I should sleep early, but all I want to do is stay up all night doing my homework. That sounds divine.

1 comment:

courtneyfloatsyourboat said...

I am glad you write such good entries even when you’re working on so much.