Saturday, May 27, 2023

Open Air

I'm frustrated by how quickly my Japan cloud dissipated into the mist of work. Just a month ago, I felt transformed. I knew I needed to come home and process, move slowly, think deeper. But because of the guild strike and launching into production of a new project the day after I returned, instead I've been in a cloud. It's been incredible and bad for my mental health.

One month ago was the first breath of our trip. We arrived in Gora, a tiny mountain town. I loved Tokyo, but it was a flashy start to our travels. I was also waking up to piles of work emails, which put me in a mood. As our hotel shuttle rounded the windy forest roads, I felt I could finally exhale.

Our room was absolutely adorable, overlooking a bubbling river. A small wooden onsen on the balcony. Puhg laid down, exhausted. Puhg does everything for our travel. Bookings, plannings, mapping, tickets. I wander around like a clueless toddler sniffing for Hello Kitty stickers while he sweats over each ticket counters and exchange rates. I volunteered to find lunch and trotted out into the village, my heart bursting for the place I just met. Hot stones and salmon buildings, vending machines and thin sidewalks. At the local 7-11 I picked up a handroll and ramen for Puhg, peach drinks and eggs for me. I could have a full (boring) conversation with the cashier, and I could tell she was proud of me for trying my best.

With renewed energy, we made our way to an open-air art museum. I was floored! Every exhibit more interesting than the last! Huge sculptures and social movements and staircases to nowwhere and rainbow squares. It felt like spring! My chest reverberated with understanding in the Picasso building, I stood on a large egg, we took a short break in the gift shop and I marveled at how every place to eat in Japan is so unique. Museum cafes are common in America, but they serve Coke and espresso and chips or maybe a fancy granola bar. I was constantly mesmerized by how precious the snacks were. On April 27th, for example, we had the museum's signature maple ginger soda.

I found a fuzzy caterpillar and brought her to the grass, I looked at the sky through stained glass, I didn't want to go home and then didn't want to go home again.







No comments: