Friday, September 4, 2020

Mipso

I hate you for not thinking it through. For not planning. For assuming you were doing me a favor when I never asked for one. The favors you do in your head. Still! Even still.

The greatest thing we can do is love ourselves. People excuse personal selfishness beyond selfishness by batting around the old "put your mask on first" metaphor. But conveniently the whole "plane should be crashing before it comes to that" bit is forgotten. The self-care movement has become a fountain of excuses to spend exorbitant amounts of money or disrespect the environment. I see full relationships that exist to affirm one another they deserve to do whatever they want. But you shouldn't have a workout buddy who gobbles up every excuse you chuck at them.

Nevertheless, self love is more than booking stupid frivolous vacations that look good on Insta and feel bad on the soul. A person who is so in love with themself doesn't have as hard of a time abstaining from evils in treats' clothing. A self-loved person isn't so empty they're tempted all day every day. A person who loves themself wouldn't need revenge or greed. I mean, there goes war and poverty.

And I know I have a long way to go when it comes to how I see myself, but I am certainly still angry you don't even know you're further behind than I am. That you're not even on the path. And yet you demand to run all over mine, to mess up my campsite, to set up tents I didn't want. You built a fire pit where there was once a clearing.

The thing about people is they change when they walk away.

No comments: