Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mornings with Fathers

This morning I watched an episode of Louie while running at the gym. The episode ended with Louie coming home after a long night, and as soon as he paid the sitter, his little girls woke up. "Good morning!" they cheered! It was 4 AM. "Can we go out for breakfast?!" Cut to the three of them at a tiny diner eating pancakes in the wee hours of the AM.

My heart was touched in this day of hearts. I remembered this time I could not sleep. I was 8, and I eventually just got out of bed. I knew it was the nowhere zone of time. Everything was still. I crept downstairs to find my dad also insominating on the sofa. I think it was winter break. I had just gotten a bat computer game for Christmas. He pulled out the desk chair and let me play. Sometimes kids just get up. No use fighting it. I think I played for hours. I just wasn't tired. And the TV hummed behind me.

Valentine updates tomorrow. Love you all.

No comments: