Friday, October 16, 2009

You 'Kin Do It!


Pookie New Years Day 2007

Hearing that Dunkin' Donuts is opening in Saint Louis quite honestly made my day. And I had a really good day. What is it about those sesame bagels? Those hazelnut coffees? Those delightful powder munchkins or those krullers?

I know I like the krullers because they were my grandfather's favorite. I knew him...decently. He passed away when I was 13, so there wasn't too much depth to us. But, I know some things about him past and present. He mostly doesn't sound like a great man. But he was loving in a way he knew how to be--even if that wasn't so effective. Anyway, I remember knowing at a very young age his favorite donut. And, sometimes don't you just get the urge to appreciate what someone else appreciates?

My sister got me onto working for happiness and cupcakes. My dad got me onto writing and being a community citizen. My mom got me onto show tunes. Kay got me onto Wilco. KHO got me onto exercise. Vince got me onto noticing all the possibilities. Phyl got me onto relaxing at 4 PM. My grandfather got me onto krullers.

I wonder what I have gotten people onto.

No comments: